Ride Across the Golden Gate


San Francisco from a ferry at dusk with Coit Tower on the left.

This beautiful, pink-at-dusk city. No wonder Tony Bennett left his heart here. I had a good opportunity to see it on my 20-mile ride from San Francisco to Sausalito


 and Tiburon, across the bay. As John reminded me, Tiburon means shark in Spanish. When we were in Haiti with Luke, awaiting the completion of our adoption, John used to tell Luke stories about a tiburon.


I had gone to the bike shop to sign up for a guided tour, but they didn't have enough people to run one. The guy at the shop, Bikey Mikey, convinced me I could do it on my own. 


He was right. My quads are sore and I got lost a few times (i.e. I didn't know where I was), but I did it! The sights were glorious 



and it felt good to be on a bike again after many years.


 After I crossed the bridge, I took a break at Vista View. Then it was onward to Sausalito and Tiburon. There were quite a few up and downs on the ride, and I'm feeling the ups!


But the views were worth it.

 


At Tiburon, I waited for a ferry that would take me back to San Francisco.


Past the bridge I rode over a few hours earlier.


The nighttime cityscape.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Sidewalks: Walk # 37, Hollywood Bowl & Hightower Loop

Greatest Photo Hits

College Friends