Kirby Cove


On this trip, I reconnected with an old college friend, Duncan Smith. I met Duncan when I was a freshman at USC. He was an R.A. in my dorm. He went on to have a very successful career as a Navy SEAL. He lives in Coronado with his wife Karen and has three children.


When Duncan heard I was in San Francisco, he asked me if I'd been to a place called Kirby Cove, which is on the other side of the Golden Gate from San Francisco. I hadn't, so in true Duncan-fashion, he arranged for it to happen.


I met his friends Adam and Kiara (and Lady) at the parking area above the cove.



And we began the .8 mile hike to the cove.



Through a forested area.



With eucalyptus trees.


We passed some old military installations. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the west coast was seized with fear and went into battle mode.




Duncan and his wife met at Kirby Cove, and they named their daughter after this beautiful place.






Lady loved it, too!




At the top, Adam did a celebratory handstand! 


Kiara too! I watched and marveled!


That beautiful bridge!


It was a glorious stay in San Francisco!


Thanks to Duncan, Adam, and Kiara for making the last experience in the Bay area so memorable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Sidewalks: Walk # 37, Hollywood Bowl & Hightower Loop

Greatest Photo Hits

College Friends