Highway 1


One of my objectives on this trip was to drive down Highway 1, the scenic road that runs along much of the coast of California.


It's one of the great American highways.


I didn't realize how remote,


twisty-turvy,


and steep


 the road would be.


The only times I felt anxious were driving on this road. I was often out of cell phone range.



Hats off to my Nissan Sentra, which never let me down. It also got great gas mileage.


The road hugs the Pacific. 


As I looked over the vastness of the Pacific, I thought about how it is the largest entity on earth. It covers 30 percent of the earth's surface.


Some of the roads I took veered off through the mountains and Los Padres National Forest.





Some people prefer the mountains.


And some people prefer the ocean. California has it all. Sometimes on the same day.


This view reminded me of Ireland: cows by the ocean.


As I thought about the Pacific, I hearkened back to my grade school social studies days, learning about the European explorers. Ferdinand Magellan was one of the first Europeans and Spaniards to see and cross the Pacific. He also named the ocean (peaceful sea) which is kind of a misnomer.


Though this does look pretty peaceful.

Heard the below song that mentions driving on the coast of California. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Sidewalks: Walk # 37, Hollywood Bowl & Hightower Loop

Greatest Photo Hits

College Friends