Gualala and getting lost



I continue to be amazed how uncrowded parts of northern California are. Last night, I stayed in the coastal town of Gualala on the southern Mendocino coast.


It's a native American name, meaning "coming down water place." The census counts 2,093 souls living in this place. It's sparsely populated and visited, at least in December. When I arrived last night, the main thoroughfare was largely dark. When I went on my walk on the trail overlooking the ocean, I saw no one else. If I was a celebrity trying to become a recluse, I would come to Gualala.


This undeveloped, uncrowded California will give way in a few days to something else, so I will enjoy this peace for now.







I haven't mentioned it, but I have a terrible sense of direction. It's a wonder I like to travel. Part of it is innate and then part is that I don't pay attention like I should. There is no one more thankful than me for the invention of Google Maps.

Today, I got lost.  It wasn't terrible lost, but it wasn't pleasant. A few miles outside of Gualala, I pulled over to a coastal access area. After walking through a wooded trail, I arrived at the water.





It came time to go back and it shouldn't have been complicated; the trail was marked. But I overshot it and then couldn't locate the trail entrance. After asking directions,

"Excuse me, but would you happen to know the way back to my car?"

doing a lot of walking one way and then the other, I finally got back to my car.

Hurray!

Getting lost is part of traveling, though one of my least favorite parts. But not always knowing where we are is part of life. Today, I said some prayers and gave thanks for the extra exercise I was getting and for the beautiful weather and scenery to walk in. Then my brother Mike called. He forgot I was in California and was wondering how our dad's back is doing (it's better). That reminded me that so often when I am stressed or anxious or worried, it's because I am overly self-focused.

I also remembered something I read that by Navy Seal, Jacko Willink. No matter what happens, he says, "Good."In his own words:


         "How do you deal with setbacks, failures, delays, defeats, or other disasters?"

         Jocko Willink - "I actually have a fairly, simple way of dealing with these situations. I actually            have one word to deal with these situations... And that is "Good". 
         This is actually something that one of my direct subordinates, that worked for me, pointed out            to me. He would call me up, pull me aside with some major problem, some issue that was going          on...He would say "Boss, we have this, and that, and another thing..."And I would say, "Good."            Finally one day, he was telling me about an issue that he was having, some problem...     He said          "I already know what you're going to say." And I said "Well, what am I going to say?""You're              going to say 'Good'. That's what you always say. When something is wrong and going bad, you            always just look at me and say 'Good' ."And that is how I feel. When things are going bad,                  there's going to be some good that is going to come from it...Oh, the mission got cancelled? -               Good.... We can focus on the other one. Didn't get the new high speed gear we wanted? -                     Good.... We can keep it simple. Didn't get promoted? - Good.... More time to get better.   Didn't          get funded? - Good.... We own more of the company. Didn't get the job you wanted? -                         Good.... You can get more experience and build a better resume. Got injured? - Good... Needed          a break from training. Got tapped out? - Good.... It's better to tap out in training, then tap out in            the street. Got beat? - Good.... You learned.  Unexpected problems? - Good.... We have the                  opportunity to figure out a solution. That's it. When things are going bad, don't get all bummed            out, don't get startled, don't get frustrated.... NoAnd I don't mean to say something all cliché              and I don't mean to sound like "Mr. Positive". Find the positive, but do that! Focus on the good.         Take that issue, take that problem, and make it something good. It'll bring that attitude to your              team too! You go forward. And lastly, to close this out. If you can say the word "Good", guess           what....it means you're still alive. It means you're still breathing. And if you're still breathing,               well then you still got some fight left in you.

These are such great words, but so darn hard to follow. When I was wandering around, trying to get back to my car today, it was hard to say, "Good." And this is a rather minor problem. But I like his attitude and it seems like a very effective response to adversity.


After all that, here is a video I took today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Sidewalks: Walk # 37, Hollywood Bowl & Hightower Loop

Greatest Photo Hits

College Friends