Madonna Inn: Be Who You Were Meant To Be


Sometime in the 70's, my mom and dad went to San Luis Obispo, California and stayed in the Madonna Inn. San Luis is roughly halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, so I knew I wanted to make a stop here.


My parents talked about the Madonna Inn a lot. Each room was done in a different motif. Here is the way the owners describe the Inn: "As an international, landmark destination, the Madonna Inn redefines unique, with 110 whimsical guestrooms, enchanting decor and resort amenities, including a luxurious Spa, horseback riding, boutique shopping, terrace pool and bar, and two award-winning dining experiences."


My mom mentioned a room that had rocks as part of its decor.



My room was the Time of Your Life. It was done in a New Orleans motif.




Check out the masks on the wall!


Besides being New Orleans-y, this bed was also very comfortable.


Even the bathroom got into the swing of things.



Including the floor.


This is the Inn's award-winning Gold Rush Steakhouse, all decorated for Christmas. I didn't eat here, but had a delicious meal in the Inn's Copper Cafe.


Pink is the color of the Madonna Inn.






The grounds were beautiful with waterfalls and gardens. 


When I first checked in and was reading the material in my room, I thought, "This place is unbelievably and embarrassingly kitschy." But it was so sincere. And it grew on me. The Madonna Inn is proud of what it is: a unique, fun place that is a little over the top. By the time I checked out, I was wishing I could stay another day and was vowing to return for a longer visit.


It pays to be who you are meant to be!

Postscript: As I was driving into San Luis Obispo, looking for this quintessential California Hotel, I really did hear this song.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Sidewalks: Walk # 37, Hollywood Bowl & Hightower Loop

Greatest Photo Hits

College Friends